Thursday, February 07, 2008

Oh My Lawd Have Mercy On Us...

Hey ya'll!! Thanks for being so encouraging in your responses to "Trashcan Head." One of my friends forwarded it to everyone in the world, so apart from the comments on the post I got a lot of feedback that encouraged me to take the hill of keeping my head as freed up from trash as possible. It's so crazy to hear some of the responses. At times I even giggled a little when people would say, "Well crap, are you saying I can't do this?" or "Not sure what it looks like to live that out daily." I love us:) Always looking for a rule! Haha (or a way out):) But, I would say practical application for me is...just stop. So, I know that doesn’t work for everyone and isn't breezy for me, but I think that's the practical application for most things in my life...I know what I should do, but don't do it...and that's my bad, so I need to work on that...

And onward we go!! Well, Shauna, my blog stalker reprimanded me for not posting so I am succumbing to her pressure and blogging. The bad thing for you is that I am a little sleepy and a lot bored and really feel like rambling...I will try to stay on topic though. The whole point of this blog is that my husband and I may need your prayers...we are headed to Detroit tomorrow...for a 12 hourish travel...together...by car...a Honda Civic Coupe. I am sure for most people this is a "no big deal" kind of scenario. I picture the "Lauren's and Jerry's" of the world waking up early, brushing their teeth side by side singing road trip jingles, Jerry putting on flip flops in the dead of winter, Lauren grabbing some otherwise unknown to be invented cordless electric heating blanket and the two hopping into the Kia laughing and drinking Starbucks as they drive off into the distance. And that sounds beautiful, but I have come to grips with the fact that since I took my first road trip to Memphis when Adam and I were engaged; that I HATE driving as a means by which to reach another state. It always sounds good in my head, but the moment I get into my sleek little Civic which I bought for my single 5'4 self (don’t anyone roll their eyes...I've decided that I am definitely 5'4) I realize I never imagined that a muscular 6'5 man would have to scrunch inside for a 12 hour road trip. At least you know that I was living in the moment rather than the future when I bought that car...although I was struggling with my "singleness" at that time, if I had come home with a "gold mini" that would have been a key sign that I was in desperate need of a reality check. But 5 months later when I met my future husband, I knew on sight the coupe was a mistake.

RANDOM SIDENOTE: My car has yet to recover from the many January road trips. I still have things we brought home from that trip in the car, not to mention the books that I may take somewhere but never want to carry back up stairs, not to mention my scarf and one glove...oh and lets see... not to mention the layer of dust on the dashboard because I don't want to use my "fun money" to get it cleaned...hence "fun money" and also in the car is the dry cleaning I put in there yesterday that never made it to the cleaners. Well, of course my "Dozen's Husband" (Remember the game you played when you were little where you made fun of people, yo mama jokes etc. etc. well it was called the Dozens) took my car for it's normal "Pre Road Trip" oil change this morning and saw the calamity that was my car (that he definitely contributed to) and began to make fun immediately. Morning Conversation ME: "Hmmm, I can't find my curling iron, maybe I accidentally left it in the car." ADAM: "Along with everything else you accidentally left. This girl opened a Forever 21 in her car and didnt tell nobody." (referring obviously to the dry cleaning)...(in a weird voice) "How much is this dress?" "Can I purchase this sweater?" "How much for the slice of pizza under the front seat?" END RANDOM SIDENOTE

My butt hurts just thinking about this trip. I mean it literally goes numb after being in the car 45 minutes. Anyway, no two people could be more different when it comes to life, let alone road trips...I like the first 4 hours to be filled with as much music as possible. Loud rap to hype me up for the trip, followed by some R&B so that I can work on my imaginary American Idol audition, (you aren’t the only one LC:)) followed by some old school country so that I can reminisce on the days when I took the stage at the Garland Opry (don’t even think about asking) followed by some really melancholy music so that I can try to force a "cry" so that I can act out a scene in an Oscar nominated movie. But of course this all happens when I drive alone...I normally end up mellowing out, realizing I am ridiculous, and spend the rest of the trip worshipping the Lord for putting up with me. But my husband...when he drives and I am in the car...wants to talk. And I mean about everything...life, work, theology, the gospel, the state of the world, the presidential election, the California Gold Rush and anything else that pops into his like Pumpkin Pie Head.

And that’s when the struggle begins...if I am not driving I prefer to be drooling, but in order for Adam to stay awake I HAVE to stay awake. He can’t really function if I am sleeping and if I do fall asleep I may wake up to find him reading a news article on his Blackberry while driving, and then the fight is on. I can’t take the driving/reading thing. And although he is one of the best drivers I have ever met and claims to be a "Ninja" when I say he shouldn’t be doing that (How that fits in I don’t know) I still don’t like it. So, I stay awake and eat gas station cupcakes and talk about the progression of graphic design from the early 90's til now and pray that he won’t pull over at the Western Sizzlin' buffet. But somehow we make it through and Lord willing we will make it again. I hope to take lots of pictures. Adam's mom graduated from seminary and it’s her birthday so they are having a big party, so the Prodigal Son and his new wife are going to head home for the first time in over a year to join in on the fun. It should be great. I really like Adam's family. They are all funny and nice and nice and funny and funny some more. Being in a room with them is like "Raaarraaaaaraaaa hahahahahaaa Raaarrarrr haahaa" and I like families like that because that's how my family is. Not afraid to be loud and fun. People may get their feelings hurt every now and then when the jokes go too far, but isn’t that what families are for? Testing out your hurtful jokes?? It should be a good time... If we make it!

Til Later,

15 comments:

Sum said...

1. congrats, this was the longest, most random post ever. but I loved every minute of it.
2. Pumpkin Pie Head?
3. If families aren't for testing out your hurtful jokes, I dont know what purpose they serve.

Sum said...

4. If my initials that I carved in your the dust of your car are still there next time I see you, I am totally going to judge you.

Unknown said...

I didn't know yall were headed to Detroit! =(. Your gonna miss breakfast.. imguna need the THompson's to stay in town for a solid month this spring.

Shauna said...

ohhhh...I dont do road trips. At all. Somewhere in my blog you can hear a long winded explanation to this! And good reasoning also! You ramble like me so I read your blog very easily! It is kind of like I am writing it myself! Anyhow - good luck with all the road trip fuN!!!!

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

HILLLLLLLLLLARIOUS Dawanika. You make me giggle.

Sarah W said...

enjoyed every moment of this rambling post! man, i can picture jerry and lauren exactly as you described - too funny.

Nat Pat said...

our gold mini is your gold mini.

The Hunters said...

and the same for me. my "gold mini" makes for perfect road trips. I would LOVE for my husband to talk like Adam in the car. I'm more like him, and Phillip is more like you. Hilarious.

Meredith said...

You're too funny! Hope you made it to Detroit in one piece :-)

DuckworthFam said...

road trips are my fav! I'm sorry you don't share this joy, but i hope it goes really fast for you. you make me chuckle.

Lauren Williams said...

oh my GOSH! i just laughed my head off! you KILL me!!! i could just hear Adam about the store in your car!! hahah! might i add that i have two dresses in my trunk from college that i have been meaning to return to someone for over 5 years. i am a sad human.

lecia said...

I am laughing so hard...dawn I never realized you were actually a singer/comedian....about the reading/driving thing, John E-MAILS while we drive and it goes like this...John please pull over and I will drive, this scares me please you know how I feel...hon I am almost done...yeah with that one and he keeps right on....

Lauren Williams said...

Dawn this is Jerry....the electric blanket was increadible. You know my girl well and if you find one of these please refrain from buying it because the heat level in th car is already a little much.

The Ice House said...

I love your road trip phases Dawn...I'm right there with ya! I want the hype in the beginning, the melancholy for unnecessary drama, country for some old school memories...
haha

p.s. Jamey has just recently caught on to the fact that my idea of "cleaning the car" is relocating things from the backseat to the trunk...he wasn't pleased
; )

The Ice House said...

p.s. Did I mention that Jamey too prefers I stay awake with him, but he also prefers to only listen to sermons on road trips...which makes the staying awake part even more difficult b/c after a while they start to sound more like lullabies!
Geez!
God has a sense of humor!!