Friday, February 15, 2008

Detroit

Okay, well I made a big enough deal about the travel to Detroit, so here is an update! Okay, well before we ever got into the car, our marriage was almost over. Adam wanted me to make pork tacos...um...for the road. He thought, "Cost efficient," I thought, "Pork tacos...in the car...for 12 hours." I laugh now at the thought but, at the time, it wasn't funny. My sweet husband would drink water out of a shoe if it saved money on a cup. But that's why we will never be hungry or in debt:) Gotta love him. So our marriage was saved and then we packed our bags to which he responded "Dawn, you are going to Detroit for the weekend, not on a mission trip." But it was cold and I wanted to make sure that I had everything that I would need, especially my Cuddle Duds. Which...Adam...loathes!! He has even gone so far as to hide them from me before, but I got them back.

RANDOM SIDENOTE: I bought the Cuddle Duds for a New York vacation with Mel to wear under my jeans for warmth and it really worked!!! Now every time the temperature hits 45 or below I put them on. The only problem is that they are old, fading from black to gray...oh and they are HUGE. Like, crotch extends to mid thigh, huge. So although they are really supposed to look like tights they somewhat resemble the M.C. Hammer pants that I wore in the 5th grade. Hey, when you're single you just pull those bad boys up and fold them over to make them fit and move on. I never dreamed that someone would actually ever see them. But he did and he even went as far as to buy me new tights as a replacement, but they are not as warm and cozy! To make it worse I decided since Detroit would be so cold that I would just wear the tights and put the baggy Cuddle Duds on top and THEN put on the jeans. Morning Conversation: ME:(Walking across the living room like a runway model in Cuddle Duds and white socks) ADAM: "Dawn, those are awful! Those are going to cause a divorce." ME: "DRAMA, why?" ADAM: "Irreconcilable differences." END RANDOM SIDENOTE

So, warmer than necessary, we jump into the car around 6am and start our drive. Laughing and joking and, get this, LISTENING TO MUSIC!! Even though Adam felt like he was falsely represented in the previous blog, he took note of the comments and we listened to music for the majority of the trip. (Okay, I admit the part where I said we talked about the progression of graphic design from the early 90's til today was just for humor, but I figured everyone got that, nonetheless here is the disclaimer that I promised My Sweet!:)) So, basically the way up there was long but enjoyable. We stopped at Cracker Barrel (of course) and I took a 2 hour nap. Thanks Love, for driving 10 1/2 of the 12 hours. The weekend was great. We stayed with Adam's brother and his wife in their new home. Best hosts ever. Aaron LOVES being Adam's big brother and does it well. It's fun to watch them say the same things at the same time and do the "cackle laugh" that they both do. The most important part of the weekend was Adam's mom's party which was such a blessing. She was so happy that she was glowing. I opened the party with a song (because Adam's siblings have to make a program for every event) and then it was a time of memories and encouragement and Uncle Milt's barbecue. (Uncle Milt was killed about a year ago at the very place where the party was hosted. He was an extremely Godly man who opened the shop that he owned to young kids and former criminals to give them a second chance and fresh start by allowing them to work for him. Two teenagers, one of whom he had given the fresh start(an employee) killed him in a robbery attempt. His wife and children still run the restaurant and she is the most selfless, forgiving and Christ-like woman! It was a great party. And a great reminder through Adam's mother and Milt's wife of what you can do in Christ that you could have never been able to do or withstand without Him. Adam's mother has a very courageous story that made the outcome of getting her Masters from seminary at 55 a very beautiful God glorifying time. It was a great day.


30 degrees and snowy...not so bad...


4 degrees and snowy...pretty bad...excuse the black dot on the camera...it does that sometimes


Kevin, (Adam's cousin who looks SO much like Adam to me) Aaron, (Adam's big (6'8) brother) Nate (Adam's nephew)and Adam


Angie, (Sister in Law 1) Me, and Ebonique (Aaron's wife/Sister in Law 2) Ya'll I love them. I wish I could be around both of them a ton more.


Adam's mom cracking everyone up!! This family is a ball of laughter.



The Thomasons:) Still loving the sound of that.

So, it was a great time. We went to another birthday party Sunday and stayed with Adam's dad for the night. We got about 3-4 hours of sleep, ate breakfast, Adam pumped gas in the 0 degree weather and we headed out for our 12 hour drive. It was awful. I almost cried 3 times simply from being tired. Adam let me nap, but he said the whole time he was yelling at his eye lids to stay open but they were not obeying. You guys seriously don't know the miracle it is that we didnt wreck. Both of us were useless and nothing would help. It literally didnt get better until about the 8th hour. We stopped and ate and had a little more energy. After 10 hours, I took over and my sweet guy went to sleep. It was good to be home. We had a great time but are NEVER driving to Detroit again!! (Lord willing:) Okay, well I was going to post about Valentine's Day, but I know that I am a long blogger and will just wait til next week:)

Til Later,

9 comments:

Bex said...

oh my gosh, THE CACKLE LAUGH!!! i love love love his laugh. and, seriously, i laugh out loud at all of your posts. geez, right a book. it would be hilarious.

love you, miss you, only one more month til you get to see meeeeeee.

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I wish I had a black family. :)

Kentsten said...

I laughed out loud knowing exactly what you look like in those cuddle duds. Tell Adam I am sorry, I failed as your friend. Those things should have been tossed out with the porky pigs boxers and shiny black workout tights with holes in them. Adam may drink from a shoe to save money, but you will wear the crap out of some tired old comfy clothes if it means staying warm and comfortable.

I miss seeing you cook turkey bacon in those stupid boxers. Love you.

Sum said...

I had a sigh of relief when we made you throw out the porky pig boxers and shiny black leggings that we all hated for you. However, I had no idea these cuddle duds were lerking about or I would have rebuked you. Leave the hammer-pants in 1991.

p.s. did Molly just say she wanted a black family?????!!?

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I was going to say the same thing. This child needs to write a book. I wait for these blogs. I would buy the book and howl with laughter. She is so talented.


She got it from her Mama....

Shauna said...

You are not kidding that you are a long blogger...but you are good...so all is forgiven. Sounds like the trip was a success!

The Ice House said...

Dawn, I'm glad you had fun with the in laws!!
And I remember those cuddle duds!! The funny thing is that we got them for New York b/c we were terrified of being cold, but I also remember the night we put them on to go to Times Square....we also stood in line for an hour to get some marble slab ice cream which we ate outside in the freezing cold....hmm..makes perfect sense...haha!!
love you

Amber said...

When it comes to pictures I am a bad blogger. As soon as I get some I will post them.....

Shauna said...

Email me and we will talk blog headers. ksmccallaghan@hotmail.com - and I know Kristen through my best friend Czarina from HS. Small small freakin world.