Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Birth Story Part 1, Getting to the Hospital

Okay, so I definitely promised to update by the end of last weekend, but I obviously missed that deadline. But I am super tired so have a little grace;) Although sometimes talking about birth can be graphic and personal...I am going to go ahead and share because it really was all God and His grace that made this a "special" time:)

So, I had been asking everyone to pray that Zipporah would come early so that I could see her and kiss her pumpkin face and so that I would have a better chance at a natural delivery. God heard his people:) 2 days before my due date I woke up at around 6:15am or so with this cramp of a feeling and I thought "Maybe that's a real contraction." But then I thought that I was overreacting because I was so ready to have her. But I noted the time and when that feeling returned 10 minutes later and then 12 minutes later I decided (even if I was wrong) to go ahead and label this "early labor." (If you've been pregnant you can understand that I wasn't necessarily overreacting since Braxton Hicks contractions don't hurt and this was the first really different feeling that I had felt in awhile.) Adam had been at Downline that morning, so when he got home I told him that I thought I was having early labor and well, he started asking why I hadn't finished packing and started putting underwear and socks into a backpack. So I told him that he was stressing me out and really needed to calm down and carry on with his day as usual.

By noon, the timing of my contractions were all over the place, 25 minutes apart then 7 then 15, but luckily I had a little book that made me aware of each phase of labor and it gave me great security that I was indeed going to have a baby soon. I didn't want to get too excited. I had told only a friend or 2 that I thought I was in labor and really just wanted to lay in bed until the action began. Well, all at once 3 friends decided to stop by. I have to admit that I wasn't feeling that idea initially but they came and brought me lunch and although the contractions were getting stronger and closer together; their company turned out to be a good distraction. But then, Darragh and Shannon and Adam FORCED me to go for a walk. They wanted to make sure the contractions were real. Normally if you go on a walk and the contractions feel better then you probably aren't really in labor so they wanted to make sure, even though I was pretty certain that I was in labor; that or someone had hit me in the back with an axe when I wasn't looking.

We walked around the block, which wasn't super far, but I felt like my hips were about to fall off. It was really cold and painful, but I was really appreciative that Darragh (who was so pregnant that she had her baby 4 days later) and Shannon stopped their days, put their kids in strollers and walked in the cold with me.

That must have been what I needed because once I got home the contractions were coming every 5 minutes or so. I told Adam that we might need to start getting ready because it looked as though this was actually happening, so he says, "Ok, I am going to go get the car detailed then." "Ummmm...ok" I guess thats what he felt was important at that moment; for his daughter to come home in a clean car. I said "ok," because my goal was to labor at home as long as possible and with him gone I had a better chance of just chilling and waiting. By the time he got back it was time for him to focus and rub my back and pay special attention to me because my contractions were 2-4 minutes apart and strong.

At that point I started getting nervous. Adam hadnt ever really wanted to practice breathing and we hadnt really talked through a plan about how I would actually get through natural childbirth. And since I vomited on myself twice during birthing class and Adam almost started crying, I didnt feel too confident about what we had learned that day. But thats another story. Anyway, I felt like the contractions couldnt get any closer but at my last appointment I was only dilated a half centimeter and I didnt want to get there and they tell me I needed to come back later. That might have created some sort of rage and I might have hurt my witness by punching a nurse in the nose bone. But I didnt know what else to do. Back massages and breathing were losing their effect since in my head I was stressing about when to get to the hospital.

I call a nurse, she says to just go up there. So we start getting dressed...Oh my Lord, ya'll should have seen my outfit. When you are in pain it seems like matching is impossible. I had on a black snap Henley that was a little too small for my belly, some light brown sweats that were flooding and falling off my hips (a bad combo) some scuffed up white tennis shoes and white socks, which you could catch a glimpse of due to the flooding, glasses, uncombed hair, a gray pea coat and a popsicle.

Packing seemed like it took ten years (I was already mostly packed but needed to put the everyday things into the suitcase) and we were on our way, BUT our neighbor happened to be outside and he had been saying Zipporah would be born on his birthday which was that night (and he was right) and Adam told him we were on our way to the hospital so he wanted to give me a hug and a wish of good luck. Sounds fair enough, but I just wanted to burn rubber and get the heck out of there. Luckily we live about 8 minutes from the hospital. Grimacing and eating my popsicle I knew that icy treat had been a mistake. I know you arent supposed to eat when you are in labor, but my sweet husband gave it to me since popsicles and ice had been my one pregnancy comfort and it made me feel better for a few minutes and then my stomach started making idle threats that would later become a reality.

So we get to the hospital, leave our luggage in the car until we knew further instructions... I throw that stupid popsicle on the street... my sweet husband picks it up and takes it to the trashcan. I roll my eyes, vow in my heart to remember to be loving and gracious towards him during labor, pull up my sagging flooding pants, wonder why I hadnt put on something better and head into the hospital to hear our fate.

Til Later,

4 comments:

Kryssy said...

all I can say to this is "Awwwwwww...." LOL... More please? =)

The Hunters said...

I still laugh at the t-shirt I threw on to go to the hospital....it was a sanitary fish place shirt. yuck. can't wait to hear more dawn!

faith bleecker said...

I love ready your stories... so funny. Can't wait to hear part 2. I'm still waiting on Jude! 38 1/2 weeks...

Lauren Williams said...

What! i am dying that Adam got the car detailed! Come on part 2!