Monday, May 12, 2008

I Am Spreading...and I Don't Mean the Good News

Oh my goodness...Pregnancy, what a ride...I am a little over 12 weeks in and I am already spreading. My sweet husband claims not to notice much of a difference, but even he couldn't deny the changes when we attempted to head out to the Downline banquet Saturday night. I did not have anything nice to wear. All of my dresses were struggling...even the two that I just bought! Luckily, they still had the tags on them or I would have had to go ahead and let the "kids" out to play for the night in order not to waste money, but Adam believes firmly that the "kids" should be in the house at all times...I normally agree, but I was struggling.

So with about an hour left until we were supposed to pick up Darragh; we attempted to put on one more dress...(I still had no makeup on and my hair hadn't caught a glimpse of a brush, and Adam hadn't showered or even attempted to get dressed) well I stepped into the dress and Adam started to zip and so the conversation goes, Adam: "Okay, straighten your back." Dawn: "My back is straight." Adam: "Okay, well then stand up straight and tall." Dawn: "I'm as tall as I'm going to get." Adam: "Okay, this ain't workin." So bummed out I just stare at him and think of a way to get out of going to this banquet, which was unlikely at that point since we had RSVP'ed in blood and were someones ride to the thing. Well, Adam (who again isn't close to being ready) goes "Okay, you start getting ready and I will go buy you something to wear." AW............ :)

Look, I don't get excited about much...romance and surprises and all those things are fun but if you want to get a reaction, watch me struggle and feel fat and then tell me that you are going to go buy me a dress. It was super sweet to me. We were totally out of time, but if I could just hold up my end of the deal and get ready (which seems easy but I am a STALLER) I knew that even if Adam came home 5 minutes before take off, he would somehow be ready to walk out of the house clean and handsome with a minute to spare. So he walks back in the door with 3 dresses and a skirt. By this point it was about 20 til it was time to go, so I figured he would throw down the bag and run to the shower but he didn't...he prepared to help me try on everything. He bought all different styles for variety and choice:) And out of it all 1 fit well. So he encouraged me by telling me I looked "fine" (and I don't mean "adequate" :)) and with 10 minutes to go hopped into the shower:) It was a cute little black dress that tied across the shoulders and was gathered and scooped in the back. I put those on with my multi colored BCBG's (they never get old even though I get annoyed with them every now and again:)) and was ready to go. Confidence booster in a flash! Thanks babe, I seriously thought that was so sweet. And honestly I really needed that moment.

I have been feeling so lousy that I have been going to work everyday with NO makeup on, GLASSES and a ponytail with a headscarf of some kind wrapped around it. I straight up look like a janitor everyday. I was standing in the bathroom at work the other day and someone told me that the toilet paper needed refilling.... Okay, that didn't happen, but I imagined it in my head. Sheesh. So I am trying my best to get it together. But there is some legend that I should be "turning the proverbial corner" here soon. We'll see, then you always have those Creepies that want to tell you how they were sick their whole pregnancy and then for the rest of their adult life. I'm always like "Girl, you don't have the gift of encouragement." So that's a small update. Keep praying if you will please:) Hopefully I will have some pictures or something fun soon:) P.S....after all that, the "banquet" turned out to be a casual barbecue...so there were like 10 over dressed people out of a 100 or so, but who cares, I had been looking like Aunt Jemima's daughter for so long that I went ahead and rocked my dress with pride.

Til Later,

16 comments:

Sum said...

1. once again, ridiculous.

2. very sweet of Adam!

3. please dont turn into a janitor yet. at least wait until the 3rd kid or something. w

Rachel DeBell said...

tagging onto summer....

4) PLEASE post a picture of that cute dress. I cannot imagine Craig picking out a dress in only a few minutes! That is stinking miraculous!

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

why are you so freaking hilarious?

Bex said...

i second molly's comment! you are CRAZY!:)

Amber said...

HaHaHa........and Aww how sweet is that of him to run and buy you something! I am praying for you Dawn and I wanna see pic's...Love you

Those Tonnes said...

I am so excited that you are pregnant, that is absolutely wonderful. I clicked on your blog from the Bleeckers. I think we may have met once or something, but you definitely know my husband Matt Tonne. and I know you know our friend Richard Elizondo. Enjoy being pregnant, I am sure you look absolutely beautiful.

Lauren Williams said...

i was laughing out loud at this post and jerry read over my should and said what's "keeping the kids in the house?" and i said unfortunately you will never no.
ps. tell adam way to go. that's a right move if i ever heard one.

Lindsey Brittain said...

If I had to trust any guy to pick out a dress...it's for sure going to be Adam!

Nat Pat said...

ha! too funny. and i think those first few months are the hardest cause you can definitely tell you're preggo but most of the world doesn't get it yet...so you just feel like you're packin an extra few LB's. and what a great husband...way to go, adam! he still needs to disciple josh in the way of fashion.

tiffany | monuments and melodies said...

I was more than happy to do the layout for you! I'm so glad you guys like it! Enjoy :)

Kentsten said...

OH MAN...I just laughed out loud all the way through this. I kept reading lines to Kent and Glo, but they don't find as much humor because a) they don't know you as well and b) i was reading them out of context. Anyway, I loved it!!!

Kryssy said...

Your blogs crack me up!!! lol
You have an uber-sweet hubby... and don't forget. pregnancy is a declaration of woman-hood... so rock it with pride and fabulosity!

p.s. LOVE the new layout! =)

Meredith said...

That story was hilarious! You do have an amazing hubby! Glad you made it to the banquet. My mom really enjoyed it :-)

B-HO said...

I AM LAUGHIN SO HARD AT THIS VERY MOMENT THAT THE NEIGHBORS JUST CAME TO CHECK ON ME(TRUE STORY)!!!THE mental picture of you being an Aunt Jemima Maid!!Is RIDICULOUS--you are GORGEOUS (even when you say you are "tore up") And it sure does come in handy that you are married to fashion designer...AND IF THERE WAS EVER A MAN I WOULD TRUST TO SHOP FOR A WOMAN...AT would be my first choice!!I love your CRAZY ARSCE!!MISS YOU!!

Budgit said...

You are so funny!!!.. I never knew how funny you was until I started to read your blogs...I love you so much and don't worry, you will get your appetite soon and the "glow" will come sooner than you think. I’m so excited about my little niece or nephew (quiet as it's kept...I want a niece...don't tell adam) but I know you look beautiful, and the benefits of pregnancy, your hair and nails grow so long, and your skin becomes flawless!!!! Take care of yourself and I love you!!!

The Faris Fam said...

I want to see pics of this outfit...and there is no way you could EVER look like a janitor! Dawntoya, no makeup, hair pulled back, and glasses is absolutely gorgeous! I, along with you other roommates had the privelege of witnessing that :)